Quantum chemical simulation of the interaction of atomic chlorine with quartz surface
By the method of the density functional theory (B3LYP/6-31G(d,p)), the temperature dependence of the Gibbs free energy of the interaction of quartz with chlorine molecules in the ground and excited states, as well as with chlorine atoms was investigated. It is found that the rearaction of chlorine atoms in ground state with the surface of quartz to the temperature of 700 K is more probable in comparison with reactions involving chlorine in the molecular state. The investigation of elementary acts of the interaction of the chlorine atom with the quartz surface has been carried out. It has been found that the most thermodynamically probable is the substitution of the silanol group of the surface by a chlorine atom.
1. Flamm D.L. Mechanisms of silicon etching in fluorine- and chlorine-containing plasmas. Pure Appl. Chem. 1990. 62(9): 1709. https://doi.org/10.1351/pac199062091709
2. Patent Japan JP2016-171189A. Otsu G., Yatsui T. Surface planarization method. 2016.
3. Patent Japan JP2014-022411A. Otsu G., Yatsui T., Ko N. Etching method using near-field light. 2014.
5. Jenichen A., Engler C. Etching of the InP (001) surface by halogens: reaction mechanisms obtained by density-functional calculations. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2004. 108(4): 1380. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp036352k
6. Geerlings P., De Proft F., Langenaeker W. Conceptual density functional theory. Chem. Rev. 2003. 103(5): 1793. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr990029p
7. Arbuznikov A.V. Hybrid exchange correlation functionals and potentials: Concept elaboration. Journal of Structural Chemistry. 2007. 48(1): S1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10947-007-0147-0
8. Becke A.D. Density functional thermo-chemistry. III. The role of exact exchange. J. Chem. Phys. 1993. 98(7): 5648. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.464913
9. Lee C., Yang W., Parr R.G. Development of the Colle-Salvetti correlation-energy formula into a functional of the electron density. Phys. Rev. B. 1988. 37(2): 785. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.37.785
10. Grimme S., Antony J., Ehrlich S., Krieg H. A consistent and accurate ab initio parametrization of density functional dispersion correction (DFT-D) for the 94 elements H-Pu. J. Chem. Phys. 2010. 132(15): 154104. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3382344
11. Murrell J.N., Laidler K.J. Symmetries of activated complexes. Trans. Faraday Soc. 1968. 64: 371. https://doi.org/10.1039/tf9686400371
12. Schmidt M.W., Baldridge K.K., Boatz J.A., Elbert S.T., Gordon M.S., Jensen J.H., Koseki Sh., Matsunaga N., Nguyen K.A., Su Sh., Windus T.L., Dupuis M., Montgomery J.A. Jr. General atomic and molecular electronic-structure system: Review. J. Comput. Chem. 1993. 14(11): 1347. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.540141112
13. Minkin V.I., Simkin B.Ya., Minyaev R.M. Kvantovaya khimiya organicheskikh soyedineniy: Mekhanizmy reaktsiy. (Moscow: Khimiya, 1986). [in Russian].
14. Cohen N., Benson S.W. Estimation of heats of formation of organic compounds by additivity methods. Chem. Rev. 1993. 93(7): 2419. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr00023a005
15. Grebenyuk A.G., Zaets V.A., Gorlov Yu.I. Primeneniye metodov MCHPDP/3 i MPDP k raschetu ental'pii obrazovaniya tverdykh tel. Ukrainian Chemical Journal. 1995. 61(9): 23. [in Russian].
16. Huheey J. Inorganic Chemistry. Principles of Structure and Re Activity. (Moscow: Khimiya, 1987). [in Russian].
17. Goronovsky I.T., Nazarenko Yu.P., Nekryach E.F. Kratkiy spravochnik po khimii. (Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, 1974). [in Russian].
18. Iler R.K. The Chemistry of Silica. V. 1. (Moscow: Mir, 1982).
19. Lisichkin G.V. Chemistry of grafted surface compounds. (Moscow: FIZMATLIT, 2003). [in Russian].